The holidays are upon us. Family and work events seem to pull us in a million different directions. But, if there’s one thing being a Westchester family photographer has taught me, it’s that we need to take the time…slow down…and just be with our families. Now, that doesn’t mean we have to be bumps on a log and veg. in front of the TV. It just means that we can choose what we do and who we do it with.
In the Hudson Valley, there’s never a shortage of things to do. Below are some of the upcoming activities to get your family out of the house and enjoying the season together…
- ALL Season: The Bear Mountain State Park Ice Rink is open for the season! Enjoy the beautiful scenery of the state park while skating. The rink is outdoors and uncovered, so warm clothes are definitely a must. Skate rentals are available, and the rink is open 7 days a week. While you’re there, don’t forget the carousel!
- Now thru January 19th: The New York Botanical Garden’s annual Holiday Train Show is happening right now. If you’ve never been, the recreations of well-known city landmarks throughout the conservatory truly are amazing. Trains are at eye-level for young children as well, so that they aren’t constantly stretching to see. And, when you’re done viewing the train show, head on over to the Everett Children’s Adventure Garden for their annual holiday scavenger hunt and hands-on activity stations.
- December 5-7 & 12-21: Turtleback Zoo in Essex County, NJ is now running their Holiday Lights at the Zoo event through the 21st of the month. Every night the zoo is lit up by their holiday lights displays and, on weekends, holiday-themed films are shown outdoors by the sea lion exhibit. Holiday music, ice carving demonstrations, and seasonal crafts make the experience an exciting and hands-on one for everyone.
- December 18: Max & Ruby in the Nutcracker Suite at the Tarrytown Music Hall. While my daughter begs (read: BEGS) me to take her to The Nutcracker every year, neither she or her brother are able to sit thru the entire thing. Max & Ruby to the rescue! It’s kid-friendly, entertaining for my son, and just enough of the original to appease my dance-loving daughter.
- December 21: Family Winter Hike at the New Jersey Botanical Gardens in Ringwood, NJ. A gentle hike through the Garden’s woods that is kid-friendly and educational. Put on your hats and mittens, and some comfy walking shoes/boots, and enjoy the winter season!
Enjoy the holidays, everyone! And, whatever you do, don’t forget to take your cameras with you. Family time is precious and something to be remembered!